The EP917 casting is similar to the prior USC#9 casting (ca 1993) that predates Eye Physics, but it is not exactly the same. The model 917 slots are a bit deeper (approx. 0.7 mm vs approx. 0.4 mm) and the seed coordinates are slightly different. Follow this link for EP917 vs USC#9 History.
- 12.4 x 14.4 mm semi-elliptical with gentle posterior notch.
- 18K standard gold alloy.
- 2 anterior suture eyelets
- Coverage for 5mm Rx height: 8x10 tumor base + 2mm margin.
- About 1.5 mm thick
- 17 shallow seed slots: approx. 1.2 X 5 X 0.7 mm
- For 24-26 mm diameter eye.
- Plaque face offset from sclera typically <= 0.05 mm.
- Semi-elliptical seed pattern
- Posterior seed orientation spares macula and optic disc a bit.
- Posterior notch facilitates placement adjacent to the optic nerve.
- Seeds are to be glued into slots using a medical device grade cyanoacrylate adhesive (e.g Loctite 4014).
- Can be steam sterilzed using 4 minute flash cycle at time of surgery.
- Sterilization surface area in sq. cm:
- Plaque ≈ 7
- Template ≈ 3.2